Wednesday, January 28, 2009


Back home in India we make Subji and halwa(pudding) out of pumpkin. Pumpkin here is a Halloween dish, at other times butternut squash is easily available . I used to make subji(dry curry) out of this squash, but after I had pumpkin pie at a friends place, I wondered how would a baked butternut squash taste. I wanted to make a warm casserole for dinner and after some trial and error I came up with my own recipe. After I made this dish for the first time, my husband was absolutely thrilled by the combination of spices and sweetness. Now it is a regular in my kitchen. I use pumpkin for this dish at fall time when it is available at very discounted rates.
Here's the recipe for this finger licking dish:

1 Small butternut squash/ medium pumpkin
3 medium granny smith apples

For Topping:
1/2 cup light brown /white sugar(depending on what's in pantry)
1/3 cup All purpose flour
1/2 cup cold butter
1/2 tspn cinnamon powder
1/4 tspn nutmeg
1/4 tspn grated ginger
1 tspn salt
1/4 cup broken pieces nuts(almonds/walnuts/pecans)



1. Peel, de-seed and cut the butternut squash in cubes.
2. Peel core and slice the apples.
3. Place the squash and apples in a baking dish.
4. Now to make the topping mix sugar,flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt and nuts in a bowl. Cut cold butter into this mix to make a crumbly topping.
5. Spread the topping evenly over squash and apples.
6. Cover with foil and place in preheated oven at 400 degrees F.
7. Bake covered for around 50-60 min. bake uncovered for 5 more mins in the end.
8. Remove from oven and enjoy it warm with some whipped cream!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BlogBlogs

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Profile

My photo
Food can be a way to give warmth, love and security when the ingredients are love and inspiration. Vegetarian cooking is a way of life for me and I love to experiment with my ingredients.

Followers

N

Popular Posts