Monday, September 14, 2009

The presence of a microwave and the absence of specialized Indian dishes used for cooking certain items led me to try microwave cooking. Since I did not have any stovetop steel dish to steam my Dhoklas traditionally I tried this recipe because I was craving for them. And to my delight they turned out so soft and puffy. My microwave dhoklas were very well received at a potluck at my community classes. They go very well with the green coriander chutney.

You will need :

2 cups Rawa
1 cup plain Yogurt
1 cup Water
1 tsp Haldi (if you like your Dhokla yellow)
Salt to taste
2 tsp Eno Fruit Salt

For Tadka:

2 tbsp Cooking Oil
Handful of Curry leaves
2-3 Green Chillies diced lengthwise or dried red chillies
1 tbsp of black Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Water
1/2 bunch chopped Cilantro
2 tbsp shredded Coconut

Soak 2 cups rawa, 1 cup yogurt and 1 cup water for 30 minutes.

Grease a microwave proof pan (corning ware with a cover). I use a long
pyrex dish with a cover because you should spread the mixture not very thick
but in a thin/medium layer for them to be soft and pliable.

Add two tsp of Eno to the rawa mixture and pour immediately in the greased pan cook it in the
microwave covered for 10-12 minutes.

After the dhokla's are done. Heat 2 tbsp oil, add black mustard seeds, curry
leaves and green or dried red chillies to the oil. Once the ingredients start spluttering, add
the water and immediately pour the tadka over the dhokla.

Cut the dhokla into pieces and garnish with cilantro and coconut.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BlogBlogs

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Profile

My photo
Food can be a way to give warmth, love and security when the ingredients are love and inspiration. Vegetarian cooking is a way of life for me and I love to experiment with my ingredients.

Followers

N

Popular Posts